Creatives and Social Media: Hard work or Popularity?

Thursday 28 January 2016
Social media is a loaded gun. This article is really about how not to shoot yourself and your dream with it.


There are two online posts that got my attention last week: Please shut up: Why self-promotion as an author doesn't work  (2013) by Delilah S. Dawson and Painting in the Dark: The Struggle for Art in a World Obsessed With Popularity (2016), a video essay by Adam Westbrook. Both deal with a dilemma that we creative entrepreneurs struggle with - the role of social media and popularity in our creative work.

Back when I was doing my undergrad in Communications, we were told that shameless self-promote was in. For a person shedding the limitations of dis-empowerment, and timidity, the concept was brilliant; it helped me step into the light boldly. However, since then I have come to temper that impulse with experience and mature reflection, and writers like Dawson explain why this is probably a good idea. Dawson convincingly argues how social media pushes and prods instead of pulls the audience, making the latter an object to be "acted upon" rather than a "subject that makes a conscious decision that feels a twinge of curiosity and discovers something amazing". The constant tweets, posts, promotions, sells, are to her, a cacophony consisting of badgering, nagging, wheedling, urging, threatening, cajoling, and being whined at. Some of her advice to writers is to "[s]pend your energy and time being kind to your colleagues . . . making new friends with no expectation that you will eventually use them to claw your way to the top" - in other words, to engage in organic and authentic communication. 

Westbrook, takes the point further. He starts his video by noting that, "Maybe one of the greatest things about the internet is how much it's leveled the playing field. I mean we've created a world where anyone with an idea can go out there and tell a story, and the whole world is watching." But he goes on to question whether being watched by the whole world should be the reason why create. Are we essentially creating for the ephemeral likes, shares and comments, for that Warholian 15 minutes of fame? Westbrook then introduces Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's concept of the autotelic in Flow: the psychology of optimal experience. People like Van Gogh, Dickinson, Monet, Mafouz, etc. . .  notes Westbrook, are autotelics who created not because of any "expectation of future benefit but simply because the doing itself is the reward"; out of a flow which focused their attention on the work itself rather than its consequences. Westbrook hits a nerve when at the end of the video, he asks, "In a world obsessed with popularity, will we do our work regardless of the consequences? Will we still make our art, even when no one's watching?" (Wow!) 

I can't count the times when focusing on the consequences brought me to the brink of throwing in the towel and walking away; how many times I have slumped into depression by comparing my disheartening Twitter and Facebook analaytics to the apparently effortless popularity other creatives are getting. The rabbit hole of narcissism, self-loathing, envy, resentment is dark as it is dangerous. Above all, it disrupts the very flow in which you naturally create with energy, commitment, and joy! It dims your very raison d'être as an artist.

In no way are either of the writers saying to heck with social media engagement. No, in fact that is the very thing they are making us re-think - engagement instead of a narrow, self-interested approach. 

Rather than compulsively, and despairingly trying to control the consequences of promotions, while overloading and alienating the very people we want to reach out to with our work, both Dawson and Westbrook remind us to stay true to that initial dream that started us on our journey - the purpose why we create, and to diligently focus our attention on the quality of our work. Both put popularity in perspective. 

In her 2015 rebuttal to people's comments of her 2013 article, Deliliah S. Dawson brings a vital point across: "What you say is as important as how you say it, especially online, where we don't have facial expressions and tone of voice to help out" (emphasis mine). Dawson takes us beyond a diligence vs. popularity dilemma to the real point of all this - how do we engage with the very people we want to influence with our work. 

Taking a refreshing departure from an aggressive shameless self-promotion approach, she encourages creatives to be respectful, genuine, value-laden, peer and community minded, organic, positive, creative with engagement, and selective with the social media. She wants "writers to stop shouting their wares and start walking over to admire someone else's cart"; to “get a query rejection, file it away, forget about it, send out another query, close Twitter, and start writing the next book instead of chewing on that rejection for a week and letting it connect in any way with their own talent and self-worth." 

 

In the last week or so, the Spirit has got me thinking more in depth about the mark I want to leave on this world. The more I think about it, I've realized that I need to get out of the victim mentality that comes with the starving artist idea, and dream bigger. I've begun to think more of the purpose of my art, about the values I want to convey and how I convey them. I've begun to realize I absolutely have to end this death-game of narcissistic comparison, which leads me to deadening low self-worth, which in turn sabotages my will to create. 

I have to first be diligent in ordering my time AND my focus, and being accountable with these resources because I have to take care not only of how I present myself, but also how I take care of my artist's heart ( A point I address in LIFESTYLE OF AN ARTIST: THREE RITUALS FOR CREATIVE LIVING ).

I have to also be diligent about the quality of my work, and also about the quality of engagement I want to create and maintain with my audience. If I suck at these at the moment, I have to make a choice to abandon my lone-artist MO, and get real and apply myself to learning new skills. Dickinson and Monet didn't have the reality of virtual reality to contend with. We do. And to ignore it completely is asinine and self-sabotaging. Rather than obsessing over the consequences of my promotions, I have to think long and hard about the values I communicate in the process. And I have to commit to conveying those values consistently over time, so people can actually trust me

I’ll share more on social media do’s and don’ts in another post. I've already taken up enough of your head space. And I am grateful that you gave me your attention so far. In the end we have to be diligent with not getting overwhelmed and distracted from the initial dream/ purpose of our creative journey, as well as not being totally out of touch with the modern- day realities of creative entrepreneurship. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment